Only UK based artists, including animators, illustrators and graphic designers, are eligible to apply.
About Brighton Fringe:
Brighton Fringe is an open-access arts festival that runs for four weeks over May - June in Brighton. It’s the biggest arts festival in England, and one of the largest Fringe festivals in the world. We offer a thrilling and vibrant selection of theatre, cabaret, comedy, music, dance, visual arts and spoken word, which promises something for everyone. We set out to stimulate, educate and entertain a diverse cross-section of people through a broad range of art forms.
Brighton Fringe is a festival made up of curious events made by curious people. Only the most inquisitive will uncover the wonders that lie within our programme - whether that’s secret comedy clubs, surprise guest slots from world renowned drag artists, intimate theatre in a caravan or midnight circuses. It is a place where you don’t have to conform, where you can keep an open mind. Enjoy a #CuriouslyFringe experience at Brighton Fringe.
The Brighton Fringe main graphic will provide the core branding for the 2022 marketing campaign, and will be translated across all marketing materials including print and outdoor advertising, social media, digital, app and email marketing.
As we take big steps away from our usual print brochure-led branding and more into the digital world, it’s important that the designer, illustrator or animator that we work with has a strong understanding of producing work for digital platforms.
Please note: Brighton Fringe is an international arts festival and designs and motifs that rely on recognition of Brighton landmarks such as Brighton Palace Pier and the Royal Pavilion are not suitable for this brief. Please also think creatively, submissions that go beyond literal interpretations of the brief are welcomed.
- Entertain, engage and excite potential audiences of Brighton Fringe 2022
- Raise awareness of the artistic range of Brighton Fringe
- Reflect the high energy, inclusive nature of the Brighton Fringe brand
- Build a strong digital brand for Brighton Fringe 2022
To include Brighton Fringe logo and tagline, festival dates, social media links, website, box office telephone number and sponsor logos. This can also include different textures and backgrounds.
Vector files of individual elements/assets used in final design including characters, motifs, patterns.
Adding some year-specific colours that work alongside our current colour palettes.
Brighton Fringe logo with 2022 design flourish and colouring.
11 icons, one for each event category in the programme; Cabaret & Variety, Children & Young People, Circus, Dance & Physical Theatre, Comedy, Events & Films, Exhibitions, Literature & Spoken Word, Music & Nightlife, Theatre, Tours, Workshops.
4 colour print separations of the main graphic for screen printed products such as t-shirts and posters.
Logo stings to be used in videos, and three GIF/video animations to be used to support our key messaging.
- Monday 20 September: Deadline for submitting your portfolio
- Friday 24 September: Brighton Fringe will shortlist three artists who will be asked to develop a draft idea. You will be paid for this work.
- Friday 1 October: First draft to be submitted
- Monday 4 October: Brighton Fringe will select the final artist to work with on the 2022 branding
- Monday 11 October: 2022 Logo, main colour and first GIF/Animation to be supplied
- Tuesday 12 October: Brighton Fringe open for registration. 2022 logo, colour and first GIF/Animation to be released
- 7 February: All final artwork to be delivered - main image, 2 GIF/Animations, category icons, colour sheet, vector files
- Monday 7 March: Tickets on sale and full programme released. Website and App launch with full new branding. Final main graphic to be revealed.
- March - June: There may be some ongoing work, but this will be agreed in advance.
- 6 May - 5 June: Brighton Fringe 2022
Measures of success:
- Most appropriate for Brighton Fringe 2022 objectives, artwork usage and audience
- Reflective of Brighton Fringe ethos
- Responsive to theme
- 2021 Stats Sheet
- Brighton Fringe logo pack
- 2013 - 2021 Art Archive
- Images of Brighton Fringe
- Branding guidelines
- Colour palettes
View and download attachments here.
The three shortlisted artists will be paid £100 for their draft ideas. The selected artist will be awarded £1,000 towards expenses for the design development and completion of the full scope of the project.