This Agreement has been developed through joint discussions between Brighton Fringe Ltd (‘Brighton Fringe’) and Brighton Fringe venue managers (‘venue managers’) in relation to working arrangements for the annual Brighton Fringe festival (‘the festival’). We aim for this Agreement to benefit all Brighton Fringe stakeholders. It is designed to be a statement of intent and commitment and must be agreed to before taking part in the festival each year.
Both parties agree to agree to adhere to the following:
Reports of mistreatment of anyone involved in the festival will be treated seriously and may lead to cancellation of your event/events. In serious cases, you may be blacklisted and unable to return. Complaints made against Brighton Fringe staff will follow our disciplinary procedure and will be escalated to the Brighton Fringe Board of Trustees. Actions considered unacceptable include, but are not limited to:
Physical violence, abuse, written or spoken language that leads someone to feel afraid, written or oral language containing expletives, hate speech, defamatory statements, inflammatory allegations, unwanted physical attention, sexual harassment, unreasonably persistent communications, unreasonable time scale demands.
Brighton Fringe agrees to:
1. Make details of venues and spaces available to potential participants via. Eventotron.
2. Sell tickets on behalf of registered Brighton Fringe events at all participating venues via the Brighton Fringe Box Office.
3. Promote Brighton Fringe in online and physical formats. Please note, there will be no official brochure for Brighton Fringe 2023.
4. Provide venue boards and bunting to help identify venues during the festival.
5. Maintain and develop the Brighton Fringe website.
6. Communicate any updates that impact on participants and venues.
7. Provide a direct email address and contact number and respond in a timely manner to questions. Brighton Fringe Ltd. and its staff endeavour to respond to phone and email communications within two working days.
8. Provide and maintain a venues’-specific Brighton Fringe Facebook group
9. Hold regular venue managers’ meetings throughout the year.
10. Pay out box office settlements no later than 6 weeks after the end of the festival.
11. Operate in a fair and impartial way.
12. Run year-round Fringe Academy workshops to support participants and venues.
Venue Managers agree to:
1. Provide up-to-date venue details, specifications and settlement bank details to all companies and to Brighton Fringe.
2. Reply to emails, phone calls or messages regarding Brighton Fringe in a timely manner.
3. Ensure that Brighton Fringe has the contact details of at least one member of each participating company so that we can share as much information as possible with participants.
4. Ensure that all participating companies are issued with a contract, written in plain English, which outlines any hire charges, box office and door splits, financial obligations, settlement schedules and other fees or penalties that may apply. Have a sample contract prepared to show to prospective companies if requested.
5. Comply with applicable licensing, equalities, employment and health and safety legislation. Implement an Equal Opportunities policy.
6. Ensure that all information regarding events taking place at their venue(s) are inputted correctly in Eventotron.
7. Provide a minimum of 30% allocation of tickets to all performances of all events to the Brighton Fringe box office, including concession-priced tickets.
8. Inform the Brighton Fringe Box Office of any seating plans, seating arrangements, allocated seating and restricted views at the point of registering. Brighton Fringe cannot be held responsible for any errors due to the provision of incorrect information, or the non-provision of information, by participants or venues.
9. Endeavour to ensure that all events start on time and do not over-run.
10 .Communicate details of cancelled or changed events to the Brighton Fringe Box Office as soon as possible and contact any audience members who have booked through the venue box office in good time. Please note, Brighton Fringe requires a minimum notice time of two working days to guarantee that changes are made to our website.
11. Aim to make their venue as accessible as possible.
12. Aim to reduce the environmental impact of the festival and encourage sustainability, in line with the Brighton Fringe Environmental Policy.
13. Display the Brighton Fringe venue board in a prominent location on the exterior of the venue
14. Display any relevant Brighton Fringe publicity including bunting, posters and flyers in prominent locations throughout their venue.
15. Forward any monies owed to participating companies within one month of receipt of their Brighton Fringe Settlement and to notify Brighton Fringe of any occasions where this has not taken place, together with details as to when payment will be completed.
16. If a dispute arises with a participating company that cannot be resolved, seek to arrange mediation by Brighton Fringe.
17. Work together with participating companies and Brighton Fringe for the development of the festival and its future.
18. Provide proof of Public Liability Insurance to Brighton Fringe no later than Monday 1 May 2023, in the form of a policy number and supplier name via Eventotron.
19. Provide a venue Risk Assessment to Brighton Fringe no later than Monday 1 May 2023 via Eventotron.
20. Familiarise yourself with all PRS and PPL licence fee tariffs/deductions and Brighton Fringe commission so as to accurately inform participants of the appropriate rates.