Licensing Your Venue

The Revolver Revue - Bill Black

When running an event at Brighton Fringe you are required by law to ensure the correct licenses are in place in order for your event to go ahead. If you have any queries on event licensing contact the Brighton & Hove City Council Environmental Health & Licensing Team on 01273 294429.

If you need a Temporary Event Notice, Premises Licence or a Personal Licence for your event you will need to contact Brighton and Hove City Council.

Most of the information can be found on their website - please ensure your event has all the correct licenses it may need.

The organisation of non-alcohol-related activities and events is strongly supported by the Council. Brighton & Hove City Council recommends keeping smoking activity to a minimum and closing any outside smoking areas early to prevent noise to residencies.

If your event involves children you will need to meet specific regulations and provide DBS checks for members of staff. Favourable consideration will be given to promoting the city’s cultural quarter, live entertainment in pubs, food-led operations, and developing LGBT and other communities of interest.

Premises Licence 

This allows a venue to hold regulated entertainment, whether it’s a play, a film, a sports event, a dance, or live and recorded music. It also allows for the sale or supply of alcohol or late-night refreshments. Open houses and galleries do not need a premises licence, providing that no licensable activities take place, including the sale of alcohol.

Temporary Event Notice 

This is the licence for short or one-off events. This allows for the temporary sale or supply of alcohol and the provision of regulated entertainment or late-night refreshments at premises without a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate (see below). Anybody can get a Temporary Event Notice provided they satisfy certain conditions – e.g. that the event is no longer than 96 hours and involves no more than 499 people. 

Personal Licence 

For an individual to sell alcohol you are required to hold a Personal Licence.


Please Wait
Talking to the Box Office...

Skip to content