This code has been developed through joint discussions between Brighton Fringe and Brighton Fringe venue managers.
We aim for this code to benefit all Brighton Fringe participants. It is designed to be a statement of intent and commitment.
Venue Managers agree to:
1. Provide up-to-date venue details and specifications to all companies and to Brighton Fringe, and to encourage companies to visit your venue in person (wherever possible).
2. Reply to emails and phone calls or messages regarding Brighton Fringe in a timely manner.
3. Ensure that Brighton Fringe has the contact details of at least one member of a performing company, so that we can share as much information as possible with participants.
4. Ensure that all performing companies are issued with a contract, written in plain English, which outlines any hire charges, box office and door splits, all financial obligations (including clarity on VAT), settlement schedules and any other fees or penalties that apply. Have a sample contract prepared to show prospective companies if requested.
5. Comply with applicable licensing, equalities, employment and health and safety legislation. Implementing an Equal Opportunities policy.
6. Endeavour to ensure that all events start on time and do not over-run.
7. Communicate details of cancelled events to Brighton Fringe as soon as possible, and contact any audience members who have booked directly in good time.
8. Aim to make your venue as accessible as possible.
9. Aim to reduce the environmental impact of the festival and encourage sustainability, in line with the Brighton Fringe Environmental Policy.
10. Develop and promote best practice in running your venue.
11. Forward any monies owed to performing companies within one month of receipt of your Brighton Fringe Settlement.
12. If a dispute arises with a performing company that cannot be resolved, seek to arrange mediation by Brighton Fringe.
13. Work together with performing companies and Brighton Fringe for the development of the festival and its future.
14. Provide proof of insurance to Brighton Fringe no later than 17 August 2020, in the form of a policy number and supplier name.
Brighton Fringe agrees to:
1. Make details of venues and spaces available to potential participants via. Eventotron.
2. Provide numbered venue boards to help identify venues during the festival.
3. Provide a direct email address and contact number for Brighton Fringe and respond in a timely manner to questions.
4. Hold regular venue managers meetings throughout the year.
5. Pay out box office settlements no later than 6 weeks after the end of the festival
6. Operate in a fair and impartial way.