So you want to run a Brighton Fringe venue? Well luckily for you, we are extremely versatile - a Brighton Fringe space can be anything you'd like it to be! From a conventional theatre space to that rickety shed in your back garden, anything goes.
If you need any help registering your venue check out our step-by-step guide.
Here are some examples of unusual things people have done in past Brighton Fringe festivals…
• A group of poets turned their ordinary house into the world’s first ‘poetry brothel’
• Brighton’s famous beach huts have become tiny theatres and mini galleries
• We’ve seen art and theatre in the back of a truck, in a lift, even in a public loo…
• Audiences have invited performers into their homes; they’ve been on sewer tours, and participated in a comedy show in a taxi!
YOU’RE ONLY 10 STEPS AWAY…
If you are looking to set up a space for the first time here are ten steps to making it happen:
1. Find a space
2. Make sure you have the necessary licenses and permission
3. Plan your budget and how you’re going to use your venue – and get it kitted out!
4. Programme the space with events or advertise your space in our online Venue Browser
5. Develop a venue hire strategy & co-ordinate a deal with those looking to hire the space
6. Put together an event schedule or programme
7. Register your scheduled events with Brighton Fringe.
8. Organise your set-up for selling tickets
9. Publicise, advertise and promote your events and space
10. Open your doors!
Some questions you should ask yourself before you start…
• What is the space suitable for – is it theatre, music, art, dance or a variety of events?
• What is your budget?
• What staff will you need?
• Are you programming the space or will you rent it out? – This could be for a flexible time slot, fixed or for a one-off event?
• How will you allocate the space and time slots to performers and artists?
• How will you charge for the space – by the hour, or by taking a percentage of ticket sales?
• Do you have regular artists already booked? Can you encourage them to do something special for Brighton Fringe?
Take a look at our other pages in the Venues area for more guidance on specific areas e.g. how to programme events, how to promote your venue and how our Box Office works.