Your Guide To The Brighton Fringe Box Office System.
Box Office Guide
1) How it works
At the point of registering your event, you will have informed us of:
- The number of tickets available for each show
- The number of tickets allocated to Brighton Fringe
- The price of all tickets for your event, including if you have any additional pricing requirements
- Whether your venue has Disabled Access (NB the venue may need to list this)
If you think you may not have informed us of any of the above, then please contact Brighton Fringe Box Office immediately.
Brighton Fringe will sell tickets for your event(s) in the following ways:
- Over the phone
- At the counter
- Through our website
- Through our app
Brighton Fringe Box Office has several on-sale dates, Early On-Sale in December (for everyone who has completed their registration by the Early-Bird deadline), Friends Priority Booking in February (available to Silver, Gold and Platinum tier Friends of Brighton Fringe only), online and over the phone.
Tickets will go on-sale to the general public, at the end of February, through all channels.
2) Allocating Tickets
The registration form will ask you for the ticket allocations for your event, the Brighton Fringe Box Office must be allocated at least 30% of the tickets available for each performance.
The allocation of your tickets that you have given to Brighton Fringe will be available through the Box Office from the moment your event goes on sale. The Box Office will manage the allocation between any agencies selling tickets on our behalf, and these will be included as Brighton Fringe tickets.
Only tickets allocated to Brighton Fringe can be sold through the Brighton Fringe Box Office. Tickets not allocated to Brighton Fringe are the responsibility of the event promoter in all respects. So if your venue does not have its own Box Office, and you allocate us the minimum 30% of your tickets, the remainder will not be on sale unless you have arranged sales provision elsewhere.
If Brighton Fringe Box Office runs out of available tickets, we will endeavour to contact you, but ultimate responsibility for monitoring ticket sales is yours. With over 1000 shows selling tickets through us, during busy periods in particular there will inevitably be a time-lag between our staff identifying low allocations, contacting you, and getting more tickets on sale, so you will need to be proactive as much as possible. If you pro-actively update allocations with us, then the process is much faster.
The amount of tickets Brighton Fringe Box Office has to sell can be updated within Eventotron using your Login on the Change Requests tab.
Once logged in, go to the event you need to change the allocation for and once within your event registration, click on the 'Change Request' tab in the menu on the left hand side. Here you can select what kind of change you wish to submit, select 'Allocation Change' and submit your new allocation request. You will not be charged for this.
An automated email will be sent directly to our Box Office team for them to make the change.
If you have any problems or would like to speak to the Box Office team email: email@example.com
3) Presales and "On-the-door" Tickets
Before your event, it is best practice to stop your Brighton Fringe Box Office ticket sales, so you can confirm the number of tickets you have for sale on the door (unless you are using the Front of House app).
You can do this through your Box Office reporting portal. Once you have done this Brighton Fringe will no longer be able to sell tickets for that performance. If we do not hear from you, and you do not stop sales, Brighton Fringe Box Office will continue to sell tickets right up to the start of your event - though discretion will obviously be used with regards the ability of customers to reach the venue in time.
When you have stopped sales, you will need to print out a list of all customers who have purchased tickets, a Customer Listing, for cross-reference ‘on the door’ of your event. You can also access this through your Box Office login and the Front of House app. If you are unable to do so for any reason then please contact the Box Office.
On the day of your event it can be useful to visit Brighton Fringe Box Office to collect any tickets that have been purchased by customers but not yet collected. Some customers will come directly to your event, and will not have printed tickets, so if you do not collect any uncollected pre-paid tickets, you will need to ensure a method for validating ticket holders on the door and ensuring that tickets are not used more than once.
Brighton Fringe will be printing tickets on Brighton Fringe-branded ticket stock; the majority of Brighton Fringe tickets will be in this format. Other venues that operate a Box Office using the Via ticketing system are acting as Collection Points, so tickets may also be produced that have been printed on their ticket stock.
Where tickets have been bought online, it is possible that ticket holders will arrive just with an e-mail confirmation.
We are more than happy to advise on the best method of validating tickets on the door and how to stop ticket sales. Please contact Brighton Fringe Box Office with any queries. We encourage you to do this during March or April, as it gets very busy in May and, particularly on weekends, time to assist is likely to be strictly limited (and potentially too late on the day).
4) Ticket Sales Reporting
The Box Office login system allows you to access live reports on all tickets sold through Brighton Fringe Box Office 24 hours a day, print off all the necessary customer details, check allocations and stop sales (if required) in the run up to an event’s start-time.
See the Ticket Sales Reports guide for details of how this works. It would be useful to familiarise yourself with that sooner rather than later. Login details for events registered for 2020 will be sent out in late February to early March. Rudimentary sales reports should also be available through your Eventotron login.
For all sales (sales and ticketing) please use the contact details below:
T: 01273 91 72 72
These are the details that you should put on your posters and flyers.
For Brighton Fringe Box Office customer enquiries, please use the contact details below:
T: 01273 91 72 72 (from February onwards)
Additionally, for Participant admin queries only you can use:
T: 01273 764907
5) Box Office Login
Please make a note of your Box Office login and password here (please note your password will be an email address):
- Reporting can be accessed at: https://bff.reports.red61.co.uk/
Your Box Office login details will be emailed to you along with the necessary information about how this service works.
You will need to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you lose your login details. Please note we can only send out the login details to the registered e-mail address, and not to any third-party e-mails.
If you have any queries regarding any aspect of your Box Office login or tickets sales reporting please contact the Brighton Fringe Box Office team.
Please note, we cannot give sales information out over the phone or at the counter – if you have misplaced your login, we will re-send you the details so can gain access, but we cannot give sales updates in the meantime.
6) Brighton Fringe Box Office Provisional Opening Hours
New Road Box Office (opposite Theatre Royal)
Pre-Festival (March and April)
Tuesday - Saturday: 12pm - 4pm (counter and phones)
Sunday & Monday: closed
During Brighton Fringe (1st - 31st May)
Monday - Sunday: 10am - 8pm
Spiegeltent Box Office (1st - 31st May)
Monday - Friday: 4pm til late
Saturdays, Sundays, bank holidays and half-term week: 10am til late
7) Additional Sales Outlets
Brighton Fringe Box Office operates various locations, both in the run- up to, and during the Fringe itself.
If a customer has not elected to have their tickets posted out to them, they can collect their tickets from any Brighton Fringe Box Office sales outlet. We recommend that you collect any sold but uncollected tickets on the day of the event at the New Road Brighton Fringe Box Office, so ticket buyers can pick up at the venue.
Fringe Ticket Collection Points
In addition, all tickets booked through Brighton Fringe Box Office can be collected from any Brighton Fringe Collection Point. Full details of where these are, and their opening hours, can be found here.
These collection points include venue partners who use the Via ticketing system. However, some venues use different ticketing systems, so only tickets for events at that specific venue will be available for purchase. For more information, please email email@example.com.
8) Unsold / Stopped Sales
On the day of your event you will need to use your Box Office login to find out how many tickets remain unsold, so that any remaining tickets can be made available on the door of the venue (if you would like to sell them on the door).
If you do not Stop Sales, the Brighton Fringe Box Office will sell up to the start-time of your show. You can find out more about how to Stop Sales and other box office reports in the Ticket Sales Reports guide.
9) Sold Out Events
Brighton Fringe Box Office will endeavour to contact you if we sell all the tickets you have allocated us, but it is important that you keep an eye on this yourself. Brighton Fringe Box Office will not advertise an event as sold out initially, we will always inform customers only that we are ‘out of our allocation’, and audiences will be directed to alternative sales outlets wherever possible.
However, please be aware that occasionally customers find this information hard to understand, or come to buy through the website, so do please try and keep an allocation of tickets on-sale through Brighton Fringe, and add more to our allocation if we are running low.
We only add the "sold out" tag to events on our website once all tickets in all outlets are sold, not just the Brighton Fringe Box Office allocation.
10) Running Your Own Box Office
To run your own box office you will need someone to:
- Take bookings
- Sell the tickets
- Monitor Brighton Fringe ticket sales
- Collect tickets sold by Brighton Fringe from the Box Office
- Redeem and check tickets on entry to the event.
If you plan on running your own box office, please let us know as soon as possible. We will be able to advise you on how to do this and what we require from you - firstname.lastname@example.org.
All tickets sold through Brighton Fringe Box Office are sold on the condition that they are non-refundable and non-exchangeable, except in the case of cancellation or failure to provide the advertised show or a suitable alternative.
Although Brighton Fringe Box Office does not refund tickets as a rule, on occasion it may be necessary, for customer service purposes, to do so, either as a gesture of goodwill, or to exchange customers to other dates. All such ticket refunds are dependent on the circumstances, and are done entirely at the discretion of Brighton Fringe Box Office.
Brighton Fringe Box Office does offer ticket exchanges to customers, although these are done on an entirely discretionary basis. In the event of an exchange, unless it is due to error on Brighton Fringe Box Office’s part, or the event has been cancelled, the customer has a charge levied for the exchange of tickets.
Brighton Fringe Box Office will not exchange tickets without the prior return of any printed tickets, and will not offer the service less than 48 hours before an event is due to take place (except for in exceptional circumstances).
All complaints about the event are the responsibility of the event promoter and will be referred to them. Registrants are required to contact and deal with any customer who presents an official complaint. Failure to respond to grievances may result in Brighton Fringe Box Office unilaterally refunding ticket sales, or withholding settlement.
12) Ticket Printing
Please note that Brighton Fringe Box Office will only ever print out tickets that have been sold, unless otherwise requested.
However, we can print out tickets for you over and above those you have sold through the Fringe, for your own use, but there will be a charge for this of 12.5p +VAT per ticket (15p), which can either be paid on collection (for free events) or will be deducted from your settlement.
Please e-mail email@example.com to request this, being sure to include your event details, the amount of tickets you require printed, and a date you would like to collect them on. Please allow at least 2-3 working days for your request to be processed.
Since 2008, we have made payment by BACS only. If this is not an option for you then please contact us to arrange another means of payment.
Your settlement will be the total money taken for tickets sold through Brighton Fringe Box Office (reporting-wise, these are the total sales visible through your Box Office login), minus 6.5% (+ VAT) commission.
Any charges for cancelled events and/or event changes will be deducted from your settlement, as will any outstanding invoices or part of invoices remaining unpaid. Other charges that may be deducted from your settlement include F.E.U (Foreign Entertainers Unit) charges, Performing Rights Society fees and ticket printing costs.
All settlements will be paid by BACS within 6 weeks of the festival ending. A breakdown of sales and charges will be e-mailed out to the listed address of the participant. Please contact Brighton Fringe Participants Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you do not receive your settlement payment or details - it may be an issue of incorrect information.
Important Settlement Information:
If cheques are lost or need to be replaced due to incorrect details, there will be a charge of £12. This is to cover the bank charges for cancelling cheques (no profit is made).
Please note that if you have not supplied correct bank account details at the point of registering Brighton Fringe cannot be responsible for any mistakes that may occur during the settlement period.
Brighton Fringe is obliged to withhold Foreign Entertainers Unit Tax if the appropriate forms have not been completed for any settlements being paid out to a non-UK resident.
Where ticket settlements have been paid out as requested Brighton Fringe is not responsible for any payments due to third parties e.g artists, performers, venues, external promoters or box offices.
Payments to foreign accounts will incur a transfer charge by the bank which will be passed on to the participant in full.
Brighton Fringe is not responsible for late payments made to participants where insufficient bank details have been provided at the point of registration.
14) Terms & Conditions
1. Tickets are issued subject to the Rules and Regulations of the venue, event organiser and promoter as well as Brighton Fringe Ltd. Purchase of any ticket(s) constitutes acceptance of these. Full details are available on request.
2. Please check your Ticket immediately after purchase as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
3. We regret that Tickets cannot be refunded after purchase, except in the case of the event being cancelled.
4. The handling charge or booking fee for purchasing tickets is a service fee for use of the Brighton Fringe Box Office and cannot be refunded in any circumstance, except at the sole discretion of Brighton Fringe Ltd.
5. Tickets can only be exchanged after purchase at the discretion of Brighton Fringe Box Office, and will incur an administration charge for doing so. Tickets cannot be exchanged less than 48 hours before a performance. We regret that the administration charge for this service cannot be refunded, even in the event of cancellation.
6. Brighton Fringe Box Office will not re-print tickets under any circumstances. In the event of Tickets sent by post not reaching their destination, Brighton Fringe Ltd will provide a proof of purchase statement for verification by event promoter/organisers on the door.
7. Fees for posting of tickets are a separate service charge and Brighton Fringe Ltd regrets to say that they cannot be refunded in any circumstance, including non-receipt of items and in the event of show cancellation.
8. Brighton Fringe Ltd cannot be held responsible for any lost or stolen tickets. Brighton Fringe Ltd reserves the right to cancel any ticket bookings which it reasonably suspects to have been made fraudulently.
9. Eligibility for the standard Concession price ticket available is limited to Students, Senior Citizens (over 60’s), Under-16’s, D/deaf and disabled people, those registered as being on State Benefits, and Equity members. Proof of status must be supplied at the point of purchase and/or collecting of tickets, and eligibility for Concession price is at the sole discretion of Brighton Fringe Ltd. Brighton Fringe Ltd and the event promoter/organiser reserve the right to refuse admittance, or charge the difference in price, if valid proof of status is not shown on demand.
10. Brighton Fringe Box Office will offer, where possible, one complementary ‘Personal Assistant ticket’ for the companion of customers who require assistance to attend an event, when a ticket has been purchased for the customer requiring assistance. Brighton Fringe Ltd will be able to do so only where authorisation has been given by the event promoter/organiser. Brighton Fringe Ltd encourages all event promoters/organisers to provide this ticket offer, but cannot enforce this offer if an event promoter/organiser does not consent. ‘Personal Assistant tickets’ cannot be purchased individually.
11. It is the responsibility of the ticket holder to ascertain whether an event has been cancelled and the date and time of any rearranged event. If an event is cancelled or rescheduled, Brighton Fringe Ltd will use reasonable means to notify ticket holders of the cancellation once we have received the relevant authorisation from the event promoter/organiser. Please note that we cannot guarantee that ticket holders will be informed of such cancellation in advance of an event.
12. Tickets are sold subject to the management’s right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
13. Purchase of a Ticket does not over-ride the Venue Management’s right to refuse admission should patrons breach any Rules and Regulations of the venue or the event promoter/organiser. The management may on occasions have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of patrons attending events.
14. Unauthorised use of photographic and recording equipment at events is prohibited. Tapes or films may be destroyed. Laser pens, mobile phones, dogs (except guide dogs) and patron’s own food and drink may also be prohibited, though this is at the ultimate discretion of the venue.
15. Ticket holders consent as members of a live audience to any officially sanctioned filming and/or sound recording that may be taking place at the venue or during the event.
16. The event promoter/organiser, venue Management and Brighton Fringe Ltd accept no responsibility whatsoever for the loss or damage of any personal property.
17. Purchase of a Ticket gives the ticket-holder a right only to a seat of a value corresponding to that stated on the ticket and the venue Management reserves the right to provide alternative seats to those specified on the ticket.
18. The ticket-holder must comply with all relevant statutes, safety announcements and venue regulations whilst attending the event. Brighton Fringe Ltd is not responsible for any non-compliance and will not refund tickets in the case of non-admittance.
19. Tickets may be restricted to a maximum number per person. Brighton Fringe Ltd reserves the right to cancel tickets purchased in excess of this number.
20. Brighton Fringe Ltd reserves the right to recover any difference in price that may occur in the event of a discrepancy between a price listed by Brighton Fringe and that charged by the event promoter/organiser. In the case of a refusal to pay the difference, Brighton Fringe Ltd reserves the right to cancel any such booking whereby the monies paid do not cover the actual price.
21. Please note that for tickets purchased to performances suitable only for persons aged 18 and over, any ticket-holder unable to present valid identification may not be admitted to the event. Brighton Fringe Ltd is not responsible for verifying the age of attendees and will not refund tickets in the case of non-admittance.
22. Latecomers may not be admitted until a suitable break in the performance. Some performances may contain no suitable breaks. Admittance is at the final discretion of the event promoter and venue management. Brighton Fringe Ltd is not responsible for identifying which performances do not admit latecomers and will not refund tickets in the case of non-admittance.
23. Breach of the above terms and conditions, or any unacceptable behaviour likely to cause damage, nuisance or injury to other persons shall enable the venue management or event promoter/organiser to eject ticket-holders from the venue. Their decision is final, and Brighton Fringe Ltd will not refund tickets in the case of ejection/non-admittance.
24. After an event has taken place, the refund or exchange of Tickets is at the sole discretion of the event promoter/organiser, regardless of attendance or not.
25. Once an event has been attended, any refund or exchange of Tickets is at the sole discretion of the event promoter/organiser. Whilst Brighton Fringe, as ticket agents, will pass on any complaints to the event promoter/organiser, Brighton Fringe is unable to compel them to act and any further correspondance should be directed to them.
26. Brighton Fringe Ltd, acting as an agent on behalf of the event promoter/organiser, under no circumstance accepts responsibility for the content or quality of any events.
27. As a time-limited purchase, customers should be aware that purchases of event tickets are exempt from the Consumer Contract Regulations. Brighton Fringe Ltd will endeavor to exchange tickets to another event where ever possible. In such circumstances Brighton Fringe’s usual administrative exchange fees will apply.
28. Brighton Fringe Ltd on occasion may offer a Credit Note for future services in lieu of a refund. This is valid for specified period, which is entirely at the discretion of Brighton Fringe Ltd, and only for use by the designated beneficent. Once any such issued Credit Notes have passed the stated expiry date, the value of any unused credit remaining shall revert to Brighton Fringe Ltd.
29. Brighton Fringe Ltd offers Gift Vouchers for future services in return for payment of a corresponding value. Vouchers are issued solely by Brighton Fringe for a specified period, the length of which is entirely at the discretion of Brighton Fringe Ltd. Once any such issued Gift Vouchers have passed the stated expiry date, the value of any unused credit remaining shall revert to Brighton Fringe Ltd.
30. Subscribing to the Friends of Brighton Fringe membership scheme in no way gives the member voting rights or any other say in regard to the structure or constitution of the charitable organisation known as Brighton Fringe Ltd.
31. Memberships, once purchased or renewed, are non-refundable, except in exceptional circumstances, and at the sole discretion of Brighton Fringe Ltd.
32. Brighton Fringe is not responsible for the provision of offers by its partners; the offering or otherwise of all discounts and price reductions is solely at the discretion of participating organisations.
33. It is the responsibility of individual membership holders to check the validity of all external offers before attempting discounted purchases. Brighton Fringe Ltd is not responsible for the acceptance or otherwise of the membership cards by any third-party provider.
34. Brighton Fringe will endeavour to explain the benefits of membership through its online and print content, as well as through it customer service representatives. It is the responsibility of potential members to clarify the terms before purchasing their membership. Brighton Fringe Ltd is not liable for any misunderstanding of the benefits advertised as being available, and will not refund any membership fees in the event that these benefits have been misunderstood.
35. Brighton Fringe reserves the right to alter the benefits available as part its membership scheme(s) as required, and in line with circumstances. Although Brighton Fringe Ltd will undertake to provide all promised benefits as advertised, there may be occasion when it is beyond Brighton Fringe’s control to provide all of the benefits advertised, or for the full duration a member’s term. In such circumstances Brighton Fringe will not be liable to compensate any members of the relevant scheme for any benefits promised and not received.
36. All donations made through Brighton Fringe’s website, www.brightonfringe.org or any subsidiary operating under it, as well as those made over the telephone or in person, are understood to be made to Brighton Fringe Ltd, and once made any monies given are not returnable in any circumstance.
37. All merchandise is sold subject to the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
38. Please contact Brighton Fringe Ltd, in writing, within 14 days of receipt of goods, if you wish to take up your statutory right to cancel your purchase of merchandise bought online or over the telephone.
39. This does not affect your statutory rights to return faulty goods for a full refund, up to 30 days after receipt, or up to 6 months after receipt, if, and only if, faulty goods cannot be repaired or replaced.
40. In the event of the return of any merchandise, for whatever reason, Brighton Fringe Ltd will not be liable for the return cost of postage for said items.
41. As per your statutory rights, you may also contact the European Online Dispute Resolution platform, either through the link or by emailing them at email@example.com if you have a dispute you would like to resolve.
42. All time periods quoted will be extended to the next working day if they end on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday. This includes all cancellation periods and the time limits for returning goods, providing refunds, etc.
43. Brighton Fringe Ltd reserves the right to contact the customer, regardless of whether they have opted-in to receive marketing communications, for the purposes of administrating their booking/purchase. Such reasons shall include, though not be limited to, cancellation of shows, reminders of purchases, update of performance status, advise on ticketing availability. Brighton Fringe Ltd shall endeavour not to contact the customer unduly.